Thursday, July 22, 2010

Writer's Block

The chaos involving the wrapping up of the 2010 FIFA World Cup has clogged up my creative flow. I will have some useful material for you soon, but for the time being; let me share with you something that I find inspiration in:
Below is a quote from the book Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller reflecting on why he chooses to be concerned with social issues. I take these words to heart in a way I wish I could fully convey to you:
“The problem is not a certain type of legislation or even a certain politician; the problem is the same as it always has been.

I am the problem.

I think every conscious person, every person who is awake to the functioning principles within his reality, has a moment when he stops blaming the problems of the world on group think, on humanity and authority, and starts to face himself. I hate this more than anything. This is the hardest principle within Christian spirituality for me to deal with. The problem is not out there; the problem is the needy beast of a thing that lives in my chest.

(…)

More than my questions about efficacy of social action were my questions about my own motives. Do I want social justice for the oppressed, or do I want to be known as a socially active person? “

No comments:

Post a Comment