Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ayoba, South Africa, Ayoba!

Just in case you wanted to be tuned into the things filling my mind and radio in the empty moments:

Waka Waka by Shakira featuring Freshly Ground

(Just a heads up to all you peeps not livin’ in RSA right now… Freshly Ground is this kick ass band fromSouth Africa that I have fallen in love with. Check them out here.) Some other things you should know about this awesome song... I learned the dance for it at the fan park last weekend. Also, Sphelele and Sphesihle, two Grade 3 boys at St. Leo, graced Shin and I with the privelege of hearing them sing and dance the entire thing. What a treat. Annnnd... I can't listen to this song without tearing up about how awesome a thing it has been for me to live here and be a part of this. So, thanks Shakira, for inducing tears constantly, since it's pretty much all I hear on the radio these days.



SHOUT for a safer South Africa

This song hasn't gotten as much publicity as the other two, but it is an awesome cover by South Africa artists to promote safety and decrease violence during the World Cup. Check out the cause here.



Wave Your Flag by K'Naan

This song, which I am sure you have all heard, is the Official Anthem of the 2010 World Cup. K'Naan is awesome and was actually in Durbs performing at the Fan Park for the Semi-Final match last week. When we went to the Fan Park to watch a game, it was a safe bet that we would hear this song at least 10 times (I promise that is not an exaggeration. really.) I will always think of dancing in the sand with people from all over the world at the beginning, middle, and end of each game we watched at the fan park. And even though I feel frustration and resentment about this song and about the damage the World Cup may have caused and about vuvuzelas being really fucking loud and annoying, this song makes me heart fill up with joy anyways.



And that's that. Please enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I've listened to Waka Waka countless times but I'd never seen the video from start to finish! I love the Gerard Piqué cameo @ 1:11- what a fine specimen! I heard an interview w/ Freshly Ground on NPR's Weekend Edition last week. I promptly downloaded their latest album after listening. Check it out!
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128409834

    As a superfanática of LA ROJA, it goes without saying that I am ecstatic about the World Cup's conclusion :) It was a such an emotional and spirited month for all of us who love football/soccer. But thank you for your blog posts - they remind me that it's not just about the football! I really hope this tournament will yield positive, tangible benefits (that go beyond a global renown for gracious hospitality) for all people of South Africa. Stay well. much love, ang

    ReplyDelete