Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Words and Meanings

Tonight was Father Frank’s birthday. We went to mass at 5:30pm at the church in Kloof and then, as we do every other Thursday, drank red wine with the 3 priests and indulged in some good cheese. It was a nice ending to another long and frustrating day at St. Leo’s Primary School.

School was rough today for the same reasons it usually is. All of the teachers left their classrooms empty from 11:30am until the end of school at 2:30pm. Our lessons went well except for regular schedule interruptions. They recently stopped allowing many of the students attend their computer classes. They have decided only the students who can afford the computer fee are allowed to learn about computers. This also negatively affects their oral English classes that we teach. We also learned (as we were walking back to our car at 2:30pm) that there is no school tomorrow. So, that’s good. Maybe.

Work at 1000 HCH on Tuesday was rough as well. I took care of an 11 month old who only weighed 3kgs. Her name was Samkelisiwe and all of her bodily functions were shutting themselves down because she is so malnourished. When she and her mother were finally fed, it was almost painful to watch the way they ate as if it were the first time they had ever been presented with food. I don’t think I will ever forget Phume and Samke. We enrolled her in the crèche, so now she will get regularly fed, bathed, and clothed. Who will take care of her mother, Phume, though? How is helping one ever enough?

On a brighter note, I have begun helping a young man named Mthokozisi to improve his English so that he can find a better paying job. He wrote an awesome essay for me to present the language skills he possesses so we can assess and move on with our lessons. I thought I would share it with you, so that you can share his story (I didn’t edit it – just typed it as he gave it to me):

My name is Mthokosizi Dube. I am 23 years of age (to give you some perspective – 23 is also my age). I was born in January seven 1987. I live at a place Called Inchanga. I hate that i can not speak English fluently because its going to be hard for me to survive in South Africa if I do not try to improve my English. I am willing to learn as much as I can.

Academically I previously studied financial account at Damelin College in 2007. I did Trial Balance i got 86% and I did payroll and Bank Reconciliation i got 71%, unfortunately I did not complete my diploma. My maternal grandmother who was paying my college fess passed away in January 2008 that forced my withdrawal from Academia. In the past two years I have been doggedly searching for a job but due to my low level of qualification I have not found one. I have only seen my friends who have more qualificationsthan I have secure lucrative jobs with a plethora of opportunities. I think without an advanced degree opportunities for upwards mobility are limited. It is really tough for me because after my birth both of my parents passed away. I was raised by my paternal grandmother who passed as well when I was in grade 4. Her unfortunate death resulted in my living with my maternal grandmother until 2008. I really need to do something because it is hard for me to stay focused in life. I do not even know who I am.

So, that was the flooring essay Mthoko shared with me. I was so surprised to read it after he had repeatedly told me how limited his English was. When I told him that I wanted to share his essay with you, he was so flattered and humble about it. He continues to stay motivated and wants to work as hard as he can to help himself achieve great goals. He gives me great hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment