Monday, May 17, 2010

A Weekend in 1000 Hills

A Weekend in 1000 Hills

Some of my blogs will probably end up being long, thoughtful, and reflective. Others, like this one, will be simple and less emotionally charged updates.

My current small joy is that I discovered I have a recording of “Children Go Where I Send Thee” on my iPod. I realize that it is Christmas music, but it’s the little things in life that bring joy. Also, it’s winter here so but me some slack! J

This weekend seemed more low key compared to last weekend’s South Coast camping shenanigans. But for a low key weekend we accomplished a good amount of things.

Every Friday Shin, MK and I drive to Gogo Ndlovu’s house (Gogo is Themba Themba’s mother). We spend a little over 2 hours with Gogo each Friday attempting to get some of the Zulu language to stick in our minds. It’s difficult on Fridays to find the motivation to study a language so foreign to us especially after a week of draining and emotional work. Gogo is worth putting out the extra effort though. She always, without fail makes us laugh. For instance, while teaching us verb classes this week, she used “I don’t like your upper lip” as a casual example. Maybe it’s not funny right now but trust me that hearing an older Zulu Gogo say it so nonchalantly will have you nearly wetting yourself with laughter.

Saturday we spent the day at one of the most beautiful houses I’ve ever had the pleasure of being in. Someone decided to throw a benefit beauty event for the Kloof SPCA and for 1000 HCH. So the girls and I attended, on Dawn’s dime. We drank Mimosas, at cupcakes with sparkles, and listened to 3 hours of beauty tips (I felt a little awkward in my unbrushed hair and my Birkenstocks, but hey, it was for a good cause). I think that sometimes I feel extremely uncomfortable around excessive displays of money, but that’s a whole other blog. The amazing thing about the event was that the host announced at the end that she would be donating 100% of the proceeds. That means that she footed the entire bill for the beautiful event. After she announced that, my discomfort melted into sheer gratitude.

Meg and I went to one of our co-workers birthday celebrations on Sunday. The women who volunteer at 1000 HCH are incredible. We really are so incredibly fortunate to be surrounded by so many people so full of love. I had a chocolate milkshake and a man named Patrick played James Taylor on his guitar. My moments of sadness about being here are always washed away by moments like that. When I am surrounded by people I love and music I love and a chocolate milkshake, I forget the sad things and only remember the love I feel.

Finishing off the weekend, MK and I drove to Kwanyuswa to visit Gogo Gloria. She was bitten by a snake a few years ago and developed a relationship with the previous volunteers while she was being treated at the Respite Unit. When Brian (another former volunteer) visited in March, he introduced MK to her and now we are able to continue that relationship, which I am very grateful for. We sat with Gogo for about 1.5 hours but it only felt like 20 minutes. She told us about many things. She talked for a while about Madonna and her adoptions, divorces, and travels. She is the sharpest woman. She remembers everyones names. When my brother was here he visited with her. Three weeks later she asked how he is doing back in the states at work with my mom. Gogo also commented on our short dresses (knee length!!) saying that MK and I both should wear them because we have strong legs, unlike hers which were bitten by the snake. Also, apparently we have good teeth.

Spending time with Gogo was the perfect end to the weekend and I leave you with this post feeling so grateful. I hope you can find the same feeling in your own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment