Saturday, June 12, 2010

Feel it. It is here.

When I studied abroad in Pretoria in 2007, a billboard was put up that we saw when we walked to class. It said “South Africa: Host of the 2010 FIFA World Cup”. I remember thinking how far away it seemed. My classmates and I talked extensively about how awesome it would be to reunite in 3.5 years in South Africa to celebrate such a momentous event for the country and the continent. Almost 4 years ago it seemed impossible to think about it. Yet, here I live, in the country I fell in love with four years ago.

Last night, I was part of the dream that has materialized for South Africa. At 2pm, in Durban, I got to stand with people from all over the world, proudly bearing both the American and South African flags. My residual feeling of grief and anxiety did not exist last night as I watched the opening ceremonies. I am so proud to be here for this.

The emotion I experienced and witnessed in others was very much like watching the streets of South Central Los Angeles flood as we realized we had elected our first black president. It was like the peace that settled over the crowd during Obama’s inauguration. Flags of every culture cover cars, very similar, in a way, to the comraderie that America found after the tragedy of 9/11.

South Africa has a lot of problems. But for now, in this month, ubuntu seems more real than ever. So, I’m grabbin’ my vuvuzela, puttin’ on my red white and blue, and heading to Durbs for the England v. USA match.

PS – If you were wondering… South Africa’s team tied Mexico 1-1 last night. And South Africa scored the first goal of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Feel it. It is here.

2 comments:

  1. I SOOOO wish I were there with you now Bex. I'm sure it's gonna be a helluva a month (and it looks like you and your friends managed to get things started off right if that picture is any indication). Miss you crazy much, have fun with all this. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. clutch moment to be in SA! i'm super jealous (watching the match in local time instead of 4:30 + 7 am would be amazing!) but i love reading your perspective on this global extravaganza! keep it up. and even though i'm all mexico, i wish bafana bafana could have a better showing for host country pride ...

    ReplyDelete