Sunday, September 26, 2010

Heritage Day

I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in one of the most excellent holiday celebrations ever this week. Even better, I was able to celebrate it TWICE. Once at St. Leo and once at 1000 Hills Community Helpers.

To give you a little background on the holiday itself, I will first allow two of our grade 4 learners to explain a bit about it two you. Pinky and Bongi on Heritage Day and King Shaka:



For more detailed information see:

http://braai4heritage.co.za/ (thanks, Shin!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Day_(South_Africa)

At St. Leo we spent the day watching the learners from each grade do various traditional dances paying homage to their heritage. We also shared a communal meal with the teachers afterwards. Shin and I filled our plates with the traditional Zulu cuisine that the teachers had prepared. I proudly partook in eating tripe, which is the lining of a cow’s stomach. I was a little too brazen with my food selection, though. After a close call with the tripe, I let Shin finish the liver I had also taken. Oh well, at least I tried!

At 1000 Hills, the teachers and learners in the crèche prepared a dance routine including a whole bunch of awesome Zulu dancing. I even participated a little bit. The kids were all decked out in traditional garments and everyone was in a happy and festive mood, celebrating each others’ cultures.


No comments:

Post a Comment